
Over the past two years, the central theme of my existence has been my MA TESOL studies. As the finishing line draws closer, I am becoming ever more aware that the degree itself is not really all that important. What is important, vital, absolutely crucial, is what I take out of the experience. Despite all the hiccups along the way (and in the immortal words of Sinatra, I've had a few) the value of this labour is gradually emerging.
My Critical Study, the final thesis, is based on a course that addresses a gaping need in the TESOL profession: training in-service teachers in the use of educational technology. The research element excites me somewhat, but the course itself has me in a kid-before-Christmas mood. This course just might be of service to different stakeholders: the teachers themselves, both in their professional and personal development, as well as their students and educational organisations. That - service to others - is what truly matters.
I won't go into too much detail here (that's what hyperlinks are for), but here is the nutshell roundup.
T42 TESOL Teacher Training for Web 2.0 is an introduction to Web 2.0, social media and social learning. What makes it unique in the public domain is that the course is not only about Web 2.0, it is also presented entirely in Web 2.0 media. This gives participants the chance to experience Web 2.0 for themselves.
The course consists of an audio podcast, video channel and downloadable e-book, all hosted on a social networking site, the T42 Hub.
I have enjoyed every minute of compiling this project. I hope participants will share the excitement and be spurred on to ongoing social learning, both online and off.
The podcast can be heard below :)

No comments:
Post a Comment