One of the marvels of our planet is the way its northern and southern hemispheres have different seasons. My unique migratory pattern ensures that I often share in the joys of spring not just once, but twice in a single year. And I take spring very seriously, however often it happens.
Spring. The season that inevitably reminds us of new beginnings, new life, and rebirth. New warmth, new colours, and fresh new aromas cajole nature, mind and body out of stagnation. It is the perfect time to start afresh.
![]() |
| Image: Giovanni Paccaloni |
Rather than just "spring cleaning", this year I am doing a fair bit of organizing an streamlining as well. I am sorting out the areas where I work, leaving systems that make it easier to maintain good order without much effort. Computers are also being spring-cleaned. And perhaps the most important and long-last spring-cleaning is for my body and mind: I will be on retreat at the Hoogland Heatlh Hydro just outside town for the remainder of the week. This is a real highlight that I am looking forward to (and need!) immensely, and I am infinitely grateful to the kind souls who have made it possible.
The bottom line about spring-cleaning is not just to clear things up, but to make the better system sustainable. This is the plan when spring-cleaning not only my environment, but also my mind and body. New beginnings are wonderful. Always. But they are even better when they are sustainable.
Embedded below is "Spring" from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, as led by enigmatic soloist Nigel Kennedy. Until next week....

No comments:
Post a Comment