Feedback is Life's preset learning device. This does not necessarily mean that we take advantage of it. It does mean that feedback, in some form or another, comes to every human being in some form or another. We can take notice of it, or not... and we can choose to respond or not.
Although there is always the clear option of ignoring or dismissing feedback - especially of the not-so-flattering kind - this rejects the greatest learning opportunity there is. (Ask any marketer!) The results our efforts deliver are a clear message - and much like a scientific experiment, the main question is:
DOES THIS WORK?
WHAT CONCLUSIONS CAN I DRAW FROM MY RESULT?
NOW WHAT?
My current educational experience with feedback has to do with getting a very unique message across effectively. (The message in question being that of independent, online learning using my course WorkshOPD: The Strategic Toolkit for Learning Anything). The feedback is painful but priceless: time and again I hear "But... what't it ABOUT?". Well, thats tricky. It's ABOUT how to strategize and access learning in whatever field your want to know more about. In a way, the ABOUT is up to you. It's all ABOUT you, your dreams and designing the learning that will take you there. I have responded to this invaluable feedback with what I hope is a catchier, more motivating tagline, as well as screencasts to demonstrate the course, and a few teaks to the site.
In response to this priceless feedback I have been reminded that, no matter how inspired or rushed I am, it is wise to:
1. FIRST find out what people want
2. THEN build a pilot model,
3. NEXT test it
4. IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THIS gather feedback and
5. FINALLY tweak the final product. The tweaking process can be continued indefinitely.
That said, I have a lot of faith in this project, the companion ebook is the most elegant document I have ever produced, and I am committed to sharing it. Even if much tweaking is needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment