Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

My New Love: The Samsung Galaxy Tab

This blog, as the title subtly reveals, is about learning (and my rather fanatical obsession with it). While learning is hardly a new thing, today there are new ways to learn that harness the knowledge and insight of individuals, groups, and ultimately, humanity. Hence my new love: the Android-powered Galaxy Tab by Samsung, on which I am blogging right now.



Technology is not a solution to learning problems, but developments like the tablet can empower us to grasp learning opportunities. Schools have started experimenting with tablets, and although I agree with the spirit of this, it strikes me as premature. When teachers do not yet grasp the medium, and materials are still in such early stages, I believe the time is not right. (Oddly, there has been a flood of interest in the iPad as the education tablet of choice despite the high costs and notorious incompatibility of Apple products. A great product, yes, but not suitable for mass education.)

The question does persist whether these devices will be used optimally by learners. That, I believe, is where educational organizations still have a vital part to play. How do we spark the quest for knowledge? How do we provide materials that are so compelling that learners will prefer education to entertainment?

In the name of science (as apposed to self-interested, technofetishist gadgetlust) I have taken up the delightful burden of experimenting with a tablet that holds promise for education in the future. Hence the Galaxy Tab. I truly do believe that the ultra-portable dimensions, open software platform, powerful memory and battery life and a multitude of other features make devices like these ideal for education. The actual challenge now becomes opening our minds to what is possible, and equipping educators for their new role in all this while we as a species learn the belated lesson of working together and playing nice.

I am off to play with my new toy, reminded that the Latin word for 'school' and 'game' were one and the same: ludus. Expect future posts on my ludic learning curve. Meanwhile, see the ebedded album for screenshots from the device. I plan to keep updating these as my discoveries continue.

If you are interested in the Galaxy Tab, you can get a biased view from the official site, but also see the official demo video and consider a few reviews - the good and the bad. I adore this device, but it will be eclipsed by better and cheaper gadgets running the tablet-specific Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) within a few months. Still, no regrets!

*Confession: This blog post was written on the tab, but links were added on my laptop. It can be done, but I am still learning. Which is the point of this whole blog, right?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

3 comments:

eet kreef said...

We have a fight in the house at the moment - Galaxy Tab or iPad...

Unknown said...

Not an easy decision, when such stunning (and cheap!) options will be available in the near future. For those with patience it's worth hanging in there :).

Unknown said...

Eet Kreef posted the following comment, which got lost in the moderation process, but is well worth mentioning:

"I firmly beive hi-tech is the way to go, especially in impoverished and 3rd world countries. It leapfrogs old systems, and allows kids to play catch-up. We just need someone to make a Galaxy Tab for less than $20.. "

Precisely!