Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

Work vs. Play: a False Dichotomy



There is work, and then there is play. Right? Well, maybe not. Being an arch workaholic, I do not necessarily see it this way. Nor, I believe, do most people who are passionate about what they do. The dichotomy polarising work and play is a false one. The true dichotomy is between ardently doing what we love – work, play, call it whatever you like – and apathy.

Since I first came across the book The Play Ethic by Pat Kane (80s pop star, no less), I have been intrigued by the concept. The sense of deriving true pleasure from work is as precious as finding value in play. Increasingly, the power of combining the two is proving its worth.

One of the playful professional delights I came across this week is the Virtual Round Table, an online conference taking place on 12-13 November. Sessions are held in three online platforms, one of which is SecondLife, (where I am sadly still stuck on orientation island, but have at least managed to get myself an electric blue Mohawk – first things first). The very idea has me thrilled to bits, and I’m looking forward to dropping into a few sessions. Hopefully there will be a chance for a quick report back. Meanwhile, the conference is promoted on a Ning networking site. I doesn’t get much more social than that!

Finally, there is of course, the small matter of my job and my studies, both of which feed off – and into – these wild pursuits. Later this week I will begin a series on the planning behind my dissertation, and share the work in progress of the virtual workshop it will track. Things will need to happen fast: there are 107 days left until submission, if I want to graduate early. And THAT is non-negotiable. (Although I think I’ll just go and resuscitate my SL avatar first…)

But if all this can be tackled in a spirit of Play Ethic – why not?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in the same boat as you. What I consider my work, others may view as play... but it's not. Second Life, virtual worlds, technology, facebook, twitter, social media.... to me, it's work. It's a job.

I'm not doodling on mafia wars or farmville. I'm spending my hours researching new media and new technologies and new trends. It takes hours. It's work. It's a living (barely). Some on-lookers may say 'hey I love your job, you get to play around on the computer all day... but it's not play. It takes hours, days, weeks, years of hard work to become a social media marketing professional. although it can be fun at times, its business. It's work. 80% of what I do isn't what I want to do, it's what I have to do because it's work. just because I make it look easy doesn't mean it is easy.

True, I chose to be my own boss, make my own hours, and be on the computer all hours of the day and night.... but trust me... it's work. There's stress, there's accountability, there's dependability, there's integrity.. all traits regarded as a good worker.

Henrick-James Borger said...

Play is a 'state-of-mind'. I am a insufferable work-a-holic. But what I do I enjoy. There is a sense of 'disovery', and of enjoyment in what I do. On the outside, it looks like I'm doing work. Ask me what I'm doing, and I will reply 'playing on the web'!

I think the way we approach something, how we relate with the work of our hands is the defining line between work and play. How do you feel about what you are doing? What is your relation to it WHat is your attitude to it? Lastly, what do you get from it?

Let's not also conflate 'being renumerated' and work. I think that's also a big problem here. Just cause you get paid, doesn't mean your not playing. Just cause there is stress involved doesn't mean its not play! Your internal emtional relationship to your activites, and what you derive from it while and after you do it define the activity, at least for me.
Nice 'Hawk'!