Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Treading Lightly: The Expat Teacher’s Imperative

There are many reasons to tread lightly in this world. Not to cause too much disturbance, not to take away too much, not to change too much. Perhaps, most importantly, to know when to gently rock the boat, and when not to. And not to hoard.

When you are an expatriate, especially in education, the balance is a fine one. To educate and introduce a window on the world, but not to disregard what is right there. To facilitate, but not to interfere. To appreciate what is unique about the here and now, rather than compare it to the heres and nows past. To lead a life where possessions are simple, few and wisely chosen.

There is a classic conversation activity where students debate the top five things they would want to have with them on a desert island. Expat living is a bit like that desert island, especially for the common garden variety English teacher abroad, who doesn’t have the luxury of cargo and shipping budgets.

Exactly nine days away from relocation, I am counting, counting, weighing and measuring every single one of the precious items on my list. Essential? Replaceable? Storable? Scan-able?

Every item I do choose to take with me reminds me to choose simply, choose wisely, choose well. And wherever I move next, I sol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will make all the right choices, you've always seemed an intelligent soul to me.