One of the paradoxes of teacher education is the fact that, no matter what array of methodologies teacher trainees are exposed to, when they reach the chalk-face they are most likely to teach the way they were taught. Teaching practice tends to be history repeating itself. In the 1975 publication ‘Schoolteacher: A sociological study’, author Dan Lortie refers to this phenomenon as the apprenticeship of observation.
In my own teaching I have often found that I do not necessarily practice what I preach, at least methodologically. And I am not alone. Tragically, the greater the pressure – whether from workload, time pressure or disaffected students – the stronger the pull of the apprenticeship of observation. Yet these are the times when education is most in need of solid theory in practice, of sound yet experimental pedagogy and innovative techniques. These are the times when teachers most need to go beyond the craft into which we were apprenticed towards the art in which we were educated.
Mastery of teaching is a mirage that will always stay out of reach. It does not mean that every class will become easy. What it does mean is that experience, schooling, common sense, a healthy sense of adventure and, yes, the apprenticeship of observation, all interact to equip us with principled ways of addressing each class uniquely. Mastery forever remains a work in progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment