Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Davos 2012: Three Keys for Emerging Nations

Image: my-world-travelguides
As the World Economic Forum meeting 2012 approaches, all the woes of the world will once again be tabled in snowy Davos, Switzerland. Even though the developed nations are also feeling the pinch nowadays, let us not forget that the emerging nations haven't known anything but the pinch since modernization. Since I am a woman of Africa (to quote Naomi Campbell, who says so in an unmistakeable London accent), the quest for solutions to the problems that face emerging nations is never far from my mind. 

This is why, if I happened to wake up on a podium at the World Economic Forum meeting tomorrow morning, I would be quite prepared to address the cosy little crowd. My conclusion, from almost 36 years of sleepless nights, is that three things would shift the emerging nations. They are, firstly, self-sufficiency, secondly, self-directed learning and thirdly, well, I guess it's called love. (Yes, for once I beg to differ from John Lennon: I reckon love is ALMOST all you need.) Most importantly, I would argue that these three factors are at their most powerful when interconnected. This is how it works. 

Self-Sufficiency
The first solution I propose for the emerging nations is basic self-sufficiency. By basic self-sufficiency I mean that people should have all they need to provide the necessities of life for themselves, their families and social groups, specifically through independent agriculture. People who have the opportunity to provide for their own needs are productively occupied, committed and proud of their accomplishments. This alone addresses the twin troubles of hunger and social instability. It even calms the spectre of unemployment, since self-sufficient individuals are fed and constructively engaged in a meaningful project. 

Self-sufficiency does pose challenges of its own, and naturally people will need some land and resources, not to mention skills and hard work. However, the results would mean that individual citizens can be their own masters. Pressures on the environment would be relieved, urban overcrowding would be curbed and surplus could be a source of financial income or generosity. Imagine that: so much surplus that people can't afford not to be generous. 

Self-Directed Learning (Guest Starring M-Learning)
If emerging nations are to actually reach the point where we can say they finally have emerged, their citizens will need learning. The obvious problem, especially in poorer nations, is how to make learning available when resources are so scarce. Worse yet, the poorest of the poor may find a child's immediate value as a labourer more important than schooling.

Yet a reminder is in order: formal education is a relatively new innovation. What is more, some of the great movers and shakers in this world were self-educated. Even as an educator, I believe that formal education is not a requirement for success. The will to learn, however, is (whether formal education is provided or not). Certain basics, like literacy, numeracy and thinking skills certainly provide a head start, but once these are mastered, the motivated, self-directed learner can match and surpass the average student.

To encourage and enable self-directed learning, I would advocate that emerging nations and their benefactors ensure that solid basic education is freely available to every citizen. Ultimately this should include literacy in a native language and English (a massive asset in connecting to the world), numeracy, thinking skills and entrepreneurial skills. Following free basic education, the next priority should be providing spaces and resources for self-directed learning: libraries, open lectures, books, and of course computers with internet access.

M-Learning: Learning with Mobile Devices
M-Learning Image: edtechdigest.wordpress.com
One of the most promising tools for self-directed learning is mobile learning, affectionately known as m-learning. M-learning refers to learning with mobile devices like mobile phones and tablet computers. Even entry-level smartphones  have a range of native applications (apps, in geekspeak) that can galvanize learning: cameras (for instant note-taking and portable study notes), voice recorders (for recording notes or lectures), audio players (for listening to study material whenever convenient), ebook readers (for reading on the run) and more. Add an internet connection, and a world of learning is right there.

While the developed world may still market smartphones as luxury toys, the emerging nations should embrace the potential of these portable supercomputers to galvanize their most important resource: people. Cellular service providers, device manufacturers and operating system designers can all benefit from collaborative marketing to promote m-learning. Sponsored and "scholarship" devices for achievers would further establish a culture of mobile learning, while promoting the sponsors, not to mention giving them much-needed tax breaks as their profits soar (along with per capita income thanks to improved learning).

In short, mobile learning has explosive potential for emerging nations, since education has a ripple effect. I would venture to say it is unlikely that a more powerful tool for self-directed learning has ever existed. As mobile phones and cellular networks continue to spread worldwide, I sincerely hope that the corporations driving this will raise awareness of the true power of their product.

Love
Marula Image: womenswork.com
Every day urban South Africans are confronted with armies of vendors selling products that are generally phenomenally undesirable. Vendors seem to believe that traffic lights exist mainly for their benefit, and descend the moment lights turn red. Today, en route to visiting my brother in hospital, I was offered something rather unusual: a bag of marula fruit. These fruit are legendary for their intoxicating effect on Africa's elephants, who lumber about drunkenly after gorging on overripe marula. I couldn't resist and bought a bag. On my way back, the same vendor came by. Rather than refuse, I showed him my bag of fruit. "How much are you selling them for?" he joked. Such kindness.

The more time I spend among so-called "less developed" cultures, the more I enjoy the unconditional, open warmth that is simply essential if one is to survive without material wealth. The developed nations, for all their strengths, suffer very severely from "affluenza", the disease of affluence, as people are separated from communities by their possessions. In the binary reality of poverty and wealth that is South Africa, I deeply value the sense of community and, yes, love shared so unselfishly by people who have very little of material value to give. "Priceless" indeed.

The Three are One
In closing I should stress that self-sufficiency, self-directed learning and love are not separate things. Self-sufficiency is perhaps the best school there is, and can be well supported by m-learning. As to love, well, it has been said to make the world go round in the first place, hasn't it? In which case it must, at some stage, reach Davos.

Even if I don't.