Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

COP-17, Environmentalism and Education

Environmentalists protest the heads-in-sand attitude towards climate change. Image: Sierra Club Archive


I just can't ignore the double irony. At the COP-17 summit on climate change currently being held in Durban, South Africa, a group of well-meaning environmental activists led by the Sierra Club protested the head-in-sand attitude towards climate change by, well, sticking their heads in the sand. Now first, I have to wonder whether these devoted nature lovers are aware that the head-in-sand posture ascribed to the ostrich is, in fact, mythical. Having worked on an ostrich farm I can vouch that ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand (though rubbing their chins in the sand is one gesture in the animal's elaborate courting ritual). Secondly, this international band of well-intentioned young folk flew incredibly far to make that little statement. Although the summit has a token carbon footprint offset program, I do smell the petrol fume of a contradiction here that makes me suppress a little grin.

It is hardly that I am apathetic towards the environment and its cause (though nor am I some tree-hugging saint). Quite the contrary. As my sabbatical draws to an end my unambiguous conclusion is that the most important thing there is, is Nature. But the crux of my personal inquest has also been this. 

It is not up to Them. 

Certainly state and pan-governmental organizations, and of course industry, as represented at COP-17, have some clout in setting regulations and facilitating humanity's lightened step on this precious planet. Ostensibly, many of their intentions are good. And it is undeniable that though it is not nearly enough, some progress has been made in some areas. But ultimately, they are not the ones who decide. 

It is us. The approximately 15 000 people who jet around the world to attend a conference for a few days - some just to plant their heads symbolically in the sand for a photo opportunity. The millions who are exchanging the obligatory low-quality store-bought gifts this Christmas. The countless numbers unnecessarily running cars when public transport is available. wasting electricity because of poorly insulated buildings, gorging on methane-manufacturing bovines (des vaches qui ne rirent plus), and generally follow the collectivist Piper of idiocy in stead of marching to our own sensible tune. 

My criticism of the demonstrators is light-hearted and well meant, but I do think they have chosen the wrong target. To a large extent it was the leaders who got us into this mess, not necessarily because of their actions but because we, the people, followed them instead of our heads. Perhaps our heads were, indeed, in the sand. We have allowed ourselves to be hoodwinked into stupidity regarding our own relationship with Nature, which is so eager to provide for us abundantly. Yet rather than foster a garden that will feed us, how many of us work our fingers to the bone in soul-destroying jobs in toxic offices so we can afford imported, irradiated, preserved foods that age and ravage our magnificent human bodies, constantly upgraded gadgets that fill our every peaceful minute, luxurious cars that zoom us to indoor gyms where we go nowhere on our stationary bikes and treadmills and stairmasters, and of course, holidays to get away from it all. If we are following this societally ordained Piper, we may well wonder where he is leading us. 

Some weeks back I stated that the relevance of the Occupy Movement is most certainly to begin with oneself, and this couldn't apply to anything more than the matter of the environment. I do not deny that life is complicated, we all have demands to meet and we really do try to do our best. And I certainly am no saint: frequent flying is an occupational hazard in my line of work (though I usually stay a considerable while and contribute more, I hope, than merely burying my extremities in the sand), and for the past decade I have been paid with money derived from technology (Taiwan) and oil (Oman). Yet I do believe that the solution to the environmental (as well as economical and ethical) crisis begins with every individual. 

And that is how all this relates to education. Though the head-in-sand allusion is a myth, it fits well with the etymological meaning of the word education, which literally means to lead out. Never has there been a more urgent reason to lead ourselves out of that hole in the sand in which we find our heads. As a teacher, building the skills of independent thought in young people is my personal carbon offset program. I find it exquisitely insidious and divinely just to be doing so funded by black gold. As an individual, I have not yet perfected as light a tread as I would want on the earth, but I take the small steps that are available, go to great lengths to make "green" the path of least resistance, and am fighting hard for a habitat that will allow experiments in self-sufficiency for myself, and eventually as an education project. 

Because as far as I am concerned, the solution does not begin with "leaders", and it certainly will not be brought about by criticism. No. The only workable solution - say it out loud now - begins with ME. Whoever that person happens to be.