Online professional development (OPD) is a powerful solution for working professionals, organizations and the publics they serve. This method of professional development is efficient, cost-effective, environmentally sound, personalised, and also offers a wide spectrum of possibilities. What is more, professionals who take this route develop the transferrable skill of independently developing and networking online, and become more tech-savvy in the process. In short, the benefits of OPD are compelling.
Like most web users, I have come across numerous platforms for OPD during my online adventures. These experiences, together with my recent MA research and a lifetime of learning, have led me to believe that a structured introduction to OPD will address a pressing need among professionals and organizations.
While working on a proposal for an upcoming conference, this theme emerged even more clearly. I became so enchanted with the idea that within an hour I whipped up the outline for an entire course on the subject, and even registered a web domain for it. In the coming days, a local educational institute made a very promising offer for hosting the pilot programme. Needless to say, I am very excited.
The details still need to be filled in, but it is thrilling to see that by identifying market needs, a sound idea can be developed. What is equally clear is that success will demand a lot of attention and energy. Yet the efforts are the measure of the results, and I am glad to do my share.
Watch this space!
Image: Dragon CV by Marie-Therese C. Le Roux. A MindMap covering the first few years of my career.
