Some would say that “the music of today” is an artless string of randomly juxtaposed bits and bytes that anyone could slap together. I just proved that they may be right, although how artless, or not, the results are, is up for debate.
Computer music software really does make it possible for anyone to copy, paste, click and drag their way to a composition. It so happens that I have a formal education in music and some experience with audio creation software, but I needed neither of these for my little half-hour project of the day. It’s my Sixty Second Jazz Masala, and it should be playing in the widget on this blog post as we speak.
True, it’s no Fifth Symphony, and it really is only a minute long, but for a rookie’s copy-and-paste job it’s not too shabby. Made with Mixcraft audio editing software, it really was a snap to put together. The album is hosted online by Jamendo. Although there will still be many tricks to master, this was really a manageable task that any reasonably computer-savvy individual can easily take on.
The moral of this story: Learning new things, even in new areas, is doable… and even easy!
Note: The sixty second format, despite its many advantages, was rejected by the host. I have uploaded a two minute looped version entitled Double Sixty Second Jazz Masala, which should appear shortly.