Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mandela Day, Every Day



Image: Nelson Mandela graciously congratulates the national Springbok rugby team after winning the "other football" World Cup. Courtesy of the Nelson Mandela Foundation

Last year this time I blogged about Mandela Day, the birthday of South Africa’s icon of democracy and forgiveness, ex-president Nelson Mandela. The day, when each South African is asked to devote 67 minutes of service to others, is becoming a noble tradition that does the Rainbow Nation proud. Those 67 minutes represent the 67 years that Tata (Father), as he is affectionately known, spent in prison for his vision of a democratic South Africa. The small sacrifice by each individual can add up to a multitude of good deeds.

Since Mandela Day is, officially, on 18 July, this post may seem delayed – yet I have an excellent excuse. (Don’t I always?) As the tradition of 67 minutes of service is becoming entrenched, it is becoming ever more clear that, much as the annual bout of philanthropy means, this country has a long walk ahead. 67 minutes per person per year is simply not enough, and the good deeds should be a way of life – daily, not just annually.

Last year, I was quite astounded to see how what seemed a very simple task to me would have been completely unattainable to the people I chose to serve on Mandela Day. To recap, I had compiled a portfolio for local craftspeople featuring a few photographs and a summary of their work. While a basic printout and a few photographs seem the simplest of things for a computer owner, they are imponderable luxuries for the majority of South Africans. What is more, they are a ticket to more and better jobs, and ultimately a better life. At a certain threshold, the lack of material things like a computer or printer can make the world’s difference to available opportunities. The craftspeople’s gratitude was as warming as the reality of the matter was chilling.

This year, my planned task was helping computer newcomers to register for Unemployment Insurance through the handy national online service. To do so, however, requires the users to have active email accounts – a whole new frontier for both the employers and employees I have assisted. Again, for those of us using the Web and its many wonders daily, email seems like an infinitesimally minor thing. Yet for these individuals, it has been a closed door. In the spirit of continuing with service throughout the year, we embark on the email adventure tomorrow. Small as it may seem, I believe this will be a leverage point for the women who are learning, and even more so for the children that will follow them. Actions have consequences. Learning has a legacy.

No comments: