
In recent months I have frequently mentioned that my current teaching environment was “more slate than smartboard”. Two events in the past week have overhauled the truth behind this statement, and made me aware just how steep the e-learning curve can be for teachers.
LCD Projectors Hit the Wall!
The first event was the unexpected and unannounced installation of LCD projectors in each classroom. In the past, I have always had to reserve and collect a projector, and then haul it to class along with my laptop, speakers and usual teaching equipment. Now that the equipment is available, huge possibilities open up. However, none of this can be made real without a great deal of preparation, not to mention the daily 2.5 km walk with my laptop. Yet, it will be worth every minute. Watch this space for some ways the projector has (hopefully!) transformed our classroom.
Virtual Learning Environments: Reality at Last
The second event was a completely accidental meeting with the staff responsible for the college’s e-learning facilities. My ignorance of the great work done by these staff proves that the word has not spread to my remote frontiers of the campus. Their most exciting contributions include the online presence of the library, online examination services and, perhaps most thrillingly, the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The VLE is not officially open to my department, but the representatives were only too happy to sign me up on the spot.
Implementing E-Learning, Mid-semester and On the Fly
Despite my infatuation with technology-enabled learning, suddenly implementing it with no significant experience or preparation is slightly daunting and potentially very time-intensive. Though I do aim to be efficient, the learning curve is inevitable and setting things up will take time. In the coming blog posts, I hope to track ways of implementing these technologies effectively for in- and out-of-class learning. Never before have I sympathised this much with teachers obliged to learn new technologies in mid-air. It’s going to be a most fascinating ride.
Picture credit: Desk Chairs by Huberton at the Creative Commons Group on Flickr.com. I'd love to link the photographer's profile, but a painfully slow connection is preventing it :(.
No comments:
Post a Comment