Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Last Stretch


This is just a very brief update and, hopefully, explanation of my blogging hiatus recently. (I have been warned.) My alibi – and I am going to miss having one! – is, of course, the last stages of my MA research.

Well-meaning folks have very kindly reminded me that all work and no play would make me a dull boy (I have my doubts) and that I have to eat, after all (never a problem), but there are mitigating circumstances. The dissertation is, after all, a project for which a year was allocated. I have deliberated not only to complete it in half that time, but to extend the scope of the research, which covers virgin territory. This means I have to take my chances, even if that involves becoming a dull and skinny boy.

I finished writing up the final chapter this week, and have spent the past two days trimming the fat from the text with the 20/20 hindsight only available after the research process. What remains at this stage is three chapters to edit, and then cleaning up the formatting before submitting the penultimate draft for approval. A few more superficial mods after that, and then the final submission awaits.

At this stage the most terrifying prospect is not completing the last stage of my MA. It is what to do with my life once that is done.

Any ideas?

Image: Angkor Wat at Dawn, Marie-Therese Le Roux 2002

No comments: