A very short entry in the crisp predawn… about taking a microscopic and macroscopic view of the learning process. Say the “learning process”, because in terms of results this mysterious process often overrides mundane things like syllabi and curricula.
I was prompted to write this because I just realised that I have been thinking about the lessons of the coming weeks, rather than today alone. As a beginning teacher, I found it impossible to think past the boulder of this day’s lessons. Later I began to force myself to think about this lesson within the unit, the semester and the curriculum. This morning I noticed that it has been happening of its own accord recently.
In a game of chess, each single tactical move counts, but it exists within a larger strategy for winning the game. Education is the same. Every minute of every lesson is important, but weaving this together over weeks and semesters is what allows meaningful building of knowledge, review and, ultimately, recall and application of new principles by learners.
After the initial learning curve, one’s development as a teacher can be difficult to define. It is inspiring when a burgeoning skill shows itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment