Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

“Blogs, Wikis Podcasts, and Other Powerful Tools for Classroom Learning”: Book Review


I have a confession to make. I took this book out at the library mainly to fluff out my reference list. Scandalous, I know. What surprised me was that I lapped up every word, thoroughly enjoyed it and found some sterling ideas, not to mention fascinating URLs and leads to further readings. In addition to which I will definitely be using it as a rich reference.

Will Richardson is established as an authority on educational technology, and his Weblogg-ed blog is highly respected. But fear not: his writing style is extremely accessible, and the text is highly user-friendly. Web 2.0 newcomers are initiated into the very basics of online tools, from starting a blog to more advanced procedures like setting up selective RSS feeds. Many of these procedures are illustrated with screenshots. Those with more online experience can dive into a multitude of creative educational possibilities using the tools.

Having tried out and studied ICTs in language learning for some time now, I did not expect the book to warrant a thorough reading, but it certainly did. Not only did I discover novel uses for the applications I am familiar with, I also learnt more about a few I hadn’t contemplated, and some I’d never even heard of. (Which is, apparently, not as rare as I’d like to think.)

Blogs, Wikis Podcasts makes a good read, a thought-provoking discussion piece, a classroom revolution starter and a great long-standing reference. A lone educational crusader could possibly survive without it, but a staffroom reference shelf should certainly not.

Richardson, Will. (2008). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful tools for classroom learning. Thousand Oaks (California): Corwin Press.

ISBN 978-1-4129-5972-8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a book which could be of interest to non educators as well, in fact any folk that have a blog for instance.